Monday, August 8, 2011

Lazy Day


Today is a lazy day -- just hanging around the apartment reading and relaxing while some laundry dries. Haley just took a 2 hour long cold bath. It's about 86˚ in here, which is comfortable as long as I don't move around at all. 

Yesterday we went to Emart to buy some of the things we need that weren't provided. Trash cans for our bedrooms and bathroom, an iron and ironing board for my work clothes. A wet/dry mop with two washable microfiber heads, cause our floors are already getting gross. Spray bottles for water, hair gel, and cleaning spray (vinegar). A pillow for Haley (a cutesy cat shape). A kitty scratcher for Hooligan (immediately necessary to protect the couch and chairs). Doorstops. By the way, I am a master of charades. I managed to communicate cat scratcher and doorstop to a nice store lady who spoke no English. I also managed to get fitted sheets for Haley and my beds (theoretically they are the right sizes -- I got one queen and one single). Then we went downstairs to the grocery store. We didn't buy much -- some chicken, some garlic, salt, pepper, canola & olive oils, cooked meat patties, cheese, butter -- some very basic essentials. Well, and a $9 bottle (the cheapest!) of what turned out to be a sweet sparkling wine. I'd assumed it was chardonnay! Oddly enough, it was only 6% alcohol. Anyhow, the grand total for our shopping trip? $420!!!!!!!!!!! That's most of the money I had changed. I've now got about $60 left, so I need to get some more money pretty darn soon. We're down to one package of ramen, cheese, uncooked chicken so I'm going to have to go shopping today too. Happily, there's a grocery store in the basement of the next building (weird, but my boss says the prices are better than some of the big stores, so it's going to be tremendously convenient!). Also, there's a bakery, Paris Baguette, on the corner, so we've also got a good source of baguettes and packages of pre-sliced white bread (no heels!). They do not, alas, have any wheat bread. I'm going to make fried chicken with garlic and onions for dinner tonight, but I don't know what else to make. I was completely intimidated by the produce section at Emart -- it's very small and has lots of weird stuff. No broccoli or asparagus, so I couldn't figure out what to cook with my chicken. I'll need to get that worked out pretty soon. Vitamins or no, we really shouldn't live on ramen, bread, and eggs!

No comments: