Monday, June 16, 2008

Spend like there's no tomorrow!

So Haley and I are driving up to Canada this summer. It's been something that I've been talking about doing for a couple of years now. One thing we definitely want to do while we're up there is to go camping. However, I've done most of my camping with other people, and always used their food prep supplies. So there are several essentials, such as a cook stove, that I don't actually own.

Last night, the power of the internet allowed me to blow almost $300 at Amazon.com. That's a lot of money! Here's a list of the awesome stuff I bought:

A cool folding camp stove: the Coleman Fold 'n Go Stove
A set of 2 pots & a pan:
Texsport Black Ice Trailblazer Cook Set
A mess kit: the Coleman Speckled Enamelware Dining Kit
A set of bamboo utensils that hopefully won't scratch the new cookset: Joyce Chen's 5 piece utensil set
A wooden ladle
A bag to stuff all that into: the Coleman Camper's Storage Tote
2 quick-drying camping towels: the Aquis Adventure Microfiber Towel
A set of luggage organizers: Rick Steve's Packing Cube Set

I also picked up a dutch oven from Walmart(1) that is just like this one, only cheaper(2)

Wow. That's a lot of stuff! But it should all last for years to come. Even if I only do one big camping trip a year, I'll still get my money's worth the first time I have hot food when I would never be able to otherwise :)


1. Yeah, I feel guilty. But it's the only store in town :(
2. I'm not actually sure how they managed to mark it down, since Lodge is an American company (appealing to the type of folks who are more likely to use a dutch oven). So I know they're not exploiting little kids in some sweatshop to get the bargain. I guess they're just spreading the sweatshop profits around...

No comments: