Monday, June 9, 2008

Not bad at all!

I am not a great cook. There, I've confessed. Cooking is not a passion, it's a chore. Unfortunately, I really enjoy eating. And since I'm not rich enough to either hire a personal chef, or to eat out all the time... *sigh* But I'm quite proud of myself -- I've done a very good job of cooking in the last few days. Wednesday night we had split pea soup and fresh herb bread thanks to my trusty crock pot and bread machine. For dinner on Friday I marinated and barbecued pork, which we ate with brown rice, broccoli, and artichoke. I steamed the veggies in the microwave -- steamed veggies are the only things you can actually cook in the microwave. For brunch on Saturday I fried up some sausage and then scrambled eggs into it, then sprinkled the eggs with herbs and cheese. I also baked biscuits (the tube kind, not scratch!). Saturday dinner was leftovers -- we finished off the split pea soup and the bread, and also had some of the BBQ pork. Tonight I barbecued chicken. I used a new marinade, a garlic herb flavor. It was pretty good, though I overcooked the chicken. We also had corn on the cob. I tried Leia's trick of microwaving it for 7 minutes in the husk, and then peeling it and buttering it. That worked pretty well -- it was very tasty, and much faster than the usual peel-rinse-boil method. Tomorrow I'll use some of the chicken for a sandwich, and for dinner we'll cut up some of the chicken and make a caesar salad. Not bad for a not-very-inspired cook!

No comments: