Thursday, April 19, 2012

High As A Kite

I've been battling a cold for the last week, but it started turning in to a sinus infection. So... time to go to the doctor. I hadn't been to the doctor yet in Korea, so it was an experience for me. The receptionist spoke no English, and my Korean is very minimal. She asked for my alien ID card and my insurance card. Then she spent a looong time looking up my insurance information on the computer, and asked me to call my work so she could talk to them. Twice. Finally, the doctor came out to tell me (he spoke some English) that my insurance wasn't in the system so they couldn't help me. At that moment, the receptionist found my information**. So I did get to see the doctor. After the most cursory examination I've *ever* had (he stuck a metal popsicle stick in my mouth and asked me to say "Ah" and then asked me a few questions - total time, 5 minutes) he sent me to a back room where I got a shot. At the time I thought it was antibiotics, but my coworkers later told me it was just vitamins. Then I took my prescription to the pharmacy downstairs where the pharmacist (the doctor's brother) prepared my medicines. Holy crap. You know those pill containers older people use to keep track of their daily medication? Korean pharmacists make these little plastic packets for you that are a lot like those. Except I had a packet of pills 3 times a day.

Yes, this is only 3 days worth of medication.***

So when I got home I cooked dinner and took my first dose. After dinner I basically passed out on my bed. The plan had been to do a little grading, but the minute I was horizontal it was lights out. This was not a bad thing; I'd been having trouble sleeping because of my cough, so it was a relief to get a good night's sleep. The next day I took my morning packet and went to work. Hmmm... I feel... funny...

At lunch I took my afternoon packet. My next class was Algebra 2. About halfway through the class, I thought to myself, "Oh yes. I think those drugs have hit my bloodstream. I can feel waves of drugs in my brain. My face tingles. If I close my eyes, I can feel the earth rotating. Yes, I am as high as a kite. And I have to teach Algebra..."

And that has been my introduction to medicine in Korea.



** I was inclined to be cranky about it when I was talking with my Korean coworker the next day, but she explained that she has the same problem with her sons, as they have English names. Apparently, translating English names into Korean is pretty nebulous. So when your name is entered into the system (and it has to be written in Korean) it is up to the person doing the data entry how to sound out your name. Which can be pretty comical, and makes finding your information later a crapshoot.

*** BTW, the total cost for my doctor's visit and prescription? About $8.

No comments: