Friday, March 30, 2012

Bread

So I finished the last day of school before spring break, and on the way home I stop by Paris Baguette to pick up some bread since we were out.


Holy crap, I was just there 2 days ago!!! Where do I get my bread now??? So I got some bread from the corner store as an emergency measure, but it was only so so. And bread here in Korea is already not so great so...

I decided to learn how to bake bread. I've been making my own bread for years, ever since I got my first bread machine back in college, but I've never made bread by hand before.

After reading around on the internet, I made the New York Times No Knead Bread. It made a nice looking, rustic loaf :) As promised it had a crunchy crust and a holey crumb.



However, Haley and I decided we didn't really like our crust that crunchy. So I found an alteration of that recipe: The Cook's Illustrated Almost No Knead Bread

We also wanted our bread to be a sandwich loaf, rather than a round boule, so I bought a loaf pan (for the low, low price of $19! Yeah, that's Korea...)

Result: Yay!!! Yummy sandwich bread at home :) I made a white loaf and then a whole wheat loaf, and both turned out well. Softer crust, finer crumb... And tasty :) Here's a photo of the remains of our whole wheat loaf (it used to be rather larger!)



Oh, and it turns out Paris Baguette is just being renovated; they'll be back in business on the 6th :)

No comments: