Saturday, October 4, 2008

Going to the Eye Doctor

So I had an eye appointment today. Not because I really wanted one, but because my optometrist wouldn't sell me any more contact lenses without a current prescription. It wasn't just the little exam either, but the full on, eyes dialated, after-images-like-a-bar-code-floating-in-front-of-my-vision exam. Haley's comment? "You look creepy!"



The doctor didn't like how extensively I wear my contacts, but was surprised by how well my eyes were doing given that info. He did recommend that I switch my contact cleaner to another brand. It's actually pretty cool. You put your contacts in a little cage, which is then suspended in a tube which you fill up with a special hydrogen peroxide solution. The case includes a gear thing which is coated in something that reacts with the hydrogen peroxide and causes it to separate into oxygen and water. It kills all the germs and then subsides into a solution that won't cause agony when you put it in your eyes. The catch is that you have to let it sit for at least six hours, so you're not sticking H2O2 into your eyes. But I'm a "desperately need more than six hours of sleep" kind of person anyhow, so that's not really a problem :)

The neatest part is watching it fizz :)

No comments: